Friday, October 5, 2007

How Does That Make You Feel?

I've been slacking with stamping and blogging lately:(

I started my new job... I am working 3 days a week at two middle schools providing therapy for the middle schoolers. This is scary to me since I can not advise myself out of a paper bag. Somehow though I have to try to help these kids help themselves. They're pretty cute... awkward, gangly, self conscious, thinking they know it all but really desperate for approval and attention. I have to be careful though not to project my issues... if you asked me if I would rather go back to middle school/high school or submit to acts of torture, I would say what's the difference?

I put on a big front that I don't like children and don't want to be saddled with the responsibility but really I'm scared... that I won't be able to do it right, that I won't be able to protect them. So right now I am trying to help a bunch of kids break their little punk shells that they have built to protect themselves.

3 comments:

Shannan Teubner said...

(((((Laura))))) Making a difference to JUST ONE will make it worth it. You can do it.

Madeleine said...

That's what I love about being a teacher. Helping kids find confidence in themselves is such a great reward. You are going to do awesome, Laura!

Oh, and we're all scared of not being able to be a good parent. You're no different.

Anonymous said...

Wow that's quite a wonderful and important job. You can definitely make a difference in a child's life.