Sunday, January 11, 2009

My Friend the Sister

I wanted to send some thoughts to my friend Salvatrice who ,today, became a Daughter of Charity. She leaves soon for seminary in Indiana for the next year and a half. I'm very sad that I could not make it down to Maryland this weekend for her induction and even more sad that our communication over the next couple of years will be very limited.

Salvatrice and I met our freshman year of college. In college, we were ALWAYS together... friends used to joke that we shared a lung. Salvatrice has helped me w/ my Stats homework, intrepreted Philsophy for me, put up w/ some poor choices in the guy area:), made me laugh til I fell over, made 24 hour trips to Boston for me, made crazy, random road trips w/ me, introduced me to yearbooks, made me crazy mad by refusing to do dishes and generally helped guide me through life. After college we went in different directions but picked up right where we left off when we saw each other... visiting each other in Arizona and Mexico, trips to South Bend and Chicago then Maryland and Boston, we have made an effort to stay close. Words really cannot express what she means to me.

I'm very happy for her, that she has found her calling and is on a path that is right for her. I'm more than a little sad for me, and the rest of her friends and family, that life will be a little different.

I know she will kill me for writing this... but now I can say, aren't sisters supposed to be nice?. Good luck, Sr. Salvatrice, you are loved more than you know!!

No comments: